Veteran MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter Shock - Sony FF A7R
In reply to 453C, 8 months ago

453C wrote:

Anders W wrote:

453C wrote:

skyglider wrote:

Correcto mundo. Guess with a larger sensor the shutter has to travel a longer distance which results in more impact when the shutter bottoms out, resulting in a larger shock wave. Compared to less impact on a smaller micro 4/3 sensor.

Funny how Sony knew enough to include an electronic first curtain shutter in the Alpha 7 which came "first" and made a purposeful decision to omit it in the Alpha 7R which came "second". Sony works in mysterious ways.

I don't think the distance travelled is a factor. Everything else being constant, two identical cars striking a wall at the same speed impart the same amount of force, regardless of their starting point from the wall.

Hi there. Long time no see. Glad to see ya' back.

The distance travelled is a factor in the sense that the shutter blades of an FF camera have to travel nearly twice as fast as those of an MFT shutter in order to reach the same flash sync speed. They also have to cover roughly four times the area. So everything else equal, we should expect significantly more kinetic energy and momentum at play with an FF shutter than with an MFT shutter.

Thanks. After handling an E-M1, I had to see how it was holding up for the 1041 horde.

Ah, yes, that makes sense. Throw in the necessarily larger mechanism and I can see more energy being generated, and needing to be managed. I'm guessing it's going to be easier for manufacturers to develop a fully electronic shutter than it will be to completely address shutter induced vibrations in such small cameras. At least, I hope that's the way they go.

I see that Anders W explained the larger sensor, longer distance = more impact thing already. The next step in sensor design needs to be 100% electronic shutters for larger sensor cameras which work as well as mechanical shutters in all situations. The manufacturers could save money too by eliminating mechanical shutters. Small sensor cameras already use electronic shutters so it shouldn't be a big hurdle. (In fact the small sensor cameras have a menu item to simulate the sound of a mechanical shutter ).

Best regards,
Sky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow