Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 1,556
Like?
Re: Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?
In reply to Paulmorgan, 6 months ago

Paulmorgan wrote:

Ask yourself this, if SS really was a well known problem, then why is it not viral on the web, a little odd don`t you think.

It's not odd at all, because:

1) the effect is often so subtle that most people probably don't notice it. I mean seriously, I see people post captures in here all the time that they describe as "sharp" which don't actually look particularly sharp to me, so obviously we all have different standards, and therefore a different degree of sensitivity with respect to the IQ equation. In other words, it's a virtual certainty that many examples of shutter shock simply fly under the radar of the average person.

2) a lot of people probably attribute the effect of shutter shock to some other form of camera shake because they aren't cognizant of the issue. In other words, the problem is under-diagnosed.

3) many people simply rarely shoot in the sorts of conditions, or with the combination of gear, that reveals the problem in any obvious way.

4) (related to the above) as I have seen first hand, some people feel that the conditions in which I have personally found the effects of shutter shock to manifest most clearly are simply impossible to shoot in anyway (300mm+ EFLs at 1/125s). So if that really is a no-go zone for certain individuals...

5) when people spend a lot of money on camera gear (or any other sort of gear for that matter) they don't want to believe that there is anything wrong with it, even if it's something minor. So there's also going to be a certain number of people (perhaps a significant number) who actually work against those who are collectively trying to reveal the shape of an issue so it can be properly identified and subsequently more effectively mitigated.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow