Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,190Gear list
Like?
Re: Starting a business specializing in portraiture
In reply to spytrek007, 8 months ago

spytrek007 wrote:

Graham Snook wrote:

If you put your camera bag down and some one trips over it, breaks their nose, drops their iPad, smashes their Rolex, without insurance you will be footing the bill....if the person that trips is a model and has a scar on their face, you'll be paying a lot, lot more....That's Public Liability..

Or what if the model injures or scars themselves over some other obstacle due to carelessness and not my equipment then who is liable? Or if i ask them to stand on a dumpster and they trip and fall and have 20 stitches?

The first one could still be you. The second probably would.

And if lawyers get involved to decide liability 'businesses' don't get legal aid. So if you lose you need to fork over damages PLUS two lots of lawyers' fees. Even if you win you may not be able to recover your costs from the plaintiff.

Of course, once you are in a client's home or business premises you have even more choices in how to do something you can be sued for.

And I presume you have done all the usual homework about VAT registration -- when it becomes necessary -- operating as a sole trade or incorporating as a Ltd, doing your books to the tax man's satisfaction and all the other business stuff.

If you need to 'build up a portfolio' I would guess that you don't have enough photographic experience to offer your services for money. Until you do then just leave the whole business thing to one side and carry on as an amateur. By all means tell your subjects that you mean to go professional in the near future and ask for model releases from all and any of them that you might want to use in a published portfolio.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow