Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Joe Pa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,609Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's create a Semi-Pro Forum
In reply to Michael Fryd, 11 months ago

Michael Fryd wrote:

Joe Pa wrote

These are cases outside of business situations. People in their personal lives are sued very often but that is typically related to car accidents, etc.

The point I was making was about business insurance. I've never known anyone that was sued by a client, model or 3rd party while taking pictures / video professionally.

Yet car accidents while driving for business are typically not covered by personal insurance. If your intent is to shoot clients on location, then you may need business car insurance.

I am am happy to hear that the photographers you know have never been party to a suit. I don't know anyone who has lost their house to a fire, however I still have fire insurance.

There are lots of hazards that can happen on location. Direct a client to sit on a log, and she gets swarmed by ants or bees; you could be liable. The log is weak, give way, and she breaks a leg. You may be liable. Perhaps the client is not a gymnast, you ask her to stand on a log, and she falls.

There are lots of situations where an on-location photographer can be sued. Do a web search and you will find lots of examples.

Maybe the UK is different or you're just a more honest person than most, but I've never been asked when involved in a car accident if I was driving for work or pleasure.

As I said, you can be sued for anything, I'm never suggested to the OP he not get insurance, just simply putting it in better perspective that it's likely he'll never need it, but would still want to have it.

Joe Pa's gear list:Joe Pa's gear list
Canon PowerShot D30 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Canon EOS 6D +29 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow