Starting a business specializing in portraiture

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,360
Like?
common sense talking
In reply to spytrek007, 8 months ago

spytrek007 wrote:

I need some advice here. I am starting a new business and will be specializing in outdoor or on location portraits. My target market is models/actors, couples, families and children.

For models, I understand that one has to have a model release form to be able to use their images on ones portfolio. Do i need model release forms when photographing couples, children, families or any similar form?

Do i need insurance as i would be shooting outdoors or on location?

And finally for casual shoots, is it safe to photograph models below the age of 18?

The business will be under UK law.

If you have to ask these questions in a photo gear forum, it would be wise to fine-tune your plans for a business before diving in the deep end.

About insurance: never a bad idea, and not even so much for insuring the value of your own gear, but insuring your liability towards others.

I also took a quick look at your gear list.

You seem to be into lenses with a long zoom range and modest aperture values.

For portraiture as a speciality, it would not be a bad idea to consider a fast prime or two.

And these considerations come before thinking about portfolio, intellectual property and other concerns.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow