Comparing Olympus 4/3lenses to FX "Full Frame" offerings

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,454
Like?
true, but . .
In reply to JiminDenver, 11 months ago

Sure, that's absolute true. From an exposure point of view, all systems are the same.

The catch is that you have to magnify the smaller format more to get the same size final image, resulting in more apparent noise and stuff.

F-stop normalizes exposure to sensor size, so all lenses with the same exposure get the same light per sensor area. But imagine a pin head size sensor that you have to enlarge a hundred times versus a medium format that you only have to enlarge a few times.

Another way to think of it is that any system has about the same quality per sensor area, inch for inch. But with smaller sensors, you have less total quality.

JiminDenver wrote:

Set two systems up with f 2 lenses, 100 ISO and shooting the same scene, do they not end up with the same shutter speed to get the same result? I believe so because my OM 50mm f 1.8 set to f 2 doesn't result in shutter speeds twice as fast as my 50mm f2 even though the OM is a full frame lens.

-- hide signature --

JimB
Bug Whisperer
Join us in The Weekly Close up every weekend

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Oh?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow