Like?
Re: D800 Autofocus issues II
In reply to primeshooter, 8 months ago

primeshooter wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

u007 wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

150 threads and still people chiming in. olyflyer, I need to respond to what you have been saying but the thread is maxed so here I go. Listen, at the end of the day your posts say you don't have the issue. I am very glad. I wish I were one of the lucky ones. However, doesn't mean it is very real for many of us. Simply far too much smoke and noise about this issue for it to only exist on a couple of cameras. Most just don't know about it due to not having f/1.4 glass, using it at f/4 or using it in only great contrasty light all of the time. *For more info see first thread.

Sorry for making this personal, but why should any of us believe you, respect your words or take you seriously?

You've been making these threads for YEARS - basically since you first got a D800. Yet you still have your D800. If I had a camera which gave me so much grief and only a 40% success rate on focusing, I'd get rid of it. If it's THAT bad, screw brand loyalty and sell it right now.

You've also been inconsistent. You said AF was broken. Then firmware fixed it and it was a miracle. Oh no wait, it didn't fix it and it's broken again. That makes me think that most of the "problem" is in your own imagination or your own unrealistic expectations.

It took me a couple of days to get used to the AF system, and to learn which modes to use in which situations. And I get very high focus accuracy - shooting at f1.4, even indoors, even at close range. It's not perfect, but NO camera is perfect.

The fact you've been at this for over a year now and keep changing your story just makes me start to call your credibility into question. If your D800 just doesn't do what you want, sell it and get something else. It's that simple. There's no need for prolonged questioning and discussion online.

I use it mainly for landscape, which is the main purpose I use it for now...I don't need AF to do this. I would like to use it for other things. The AF firmware update improved it greatly, but I posted after only testing it in a few situations, hastily, discovered that many issues remained. You can stop being a detective now regarding credibility. If you don't believe me you don't need to post it's really that simple, I just see there are many folk with the same problem. If you look back at the 150 replies many folk see what I see, no smoke without fire pal...

This is too much. There is no justification for posting the same thread over and over for two years. You seem to be trying to convince people that the D800 AF is inferior to all other cameras, and pretty much a complete failure. However, your issue seems to be that it sometimes misses focus at f/1.4 with an 85mm lens, indoors (tungsten, CLF?) in low light and low contrast. Get real. The DOF for 85mm at f/1.4 is paper thin.

The technology is what it is. From what I've read, AF operates at an effective aperture of f/2.8 and needs contrast to discern focus. If you can't nail focus at f/1.4, shoot at f/2 or f/2.8. Your background will still be soft.

You would have been hopeless shooting medium format in mid-20th century. If you can't adapt to what the technology can do, find another pursuit. Enough with the redundant posts already.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Robin, wasn't aware you could police how many threads I post on this (over a long period of time) but okay...since the dpreview board allow it I will continue to call nikon out on this issue. It's not just an 85mm lens at f/1.4, it happens at f/2 and 2.8 it's just worse at f/1.4, it's not just tungsten (we call it incandescent) light that it happens in either...The system cannot do what the D3s and D700 did (as I've said over downsizing still reveals the AF faults. So it still exists as a problem; no matter how much you fanboy the camera up, it exists. I think for landscape it is ideal.

It is a matter of your constant moaning about the same old issue that makes it come to my attention.

My D800E handles AF more reliably and accurately than my D700 did. The D800E will work at an effective aperture of f/8 while the D700 could only manage f/5.6. This claim that the D700 was superior is just BS.

Perfect results in low light and low contrast with almost no DOF is more than you can expect from PDAF. Get over it.

I'm beginning to suspect you are on Canon's payroll.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow