Convince me to jump ship Nikon V1 to M4/3!

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,746Gear list
Like?
Re: Convince me to jump ship Nikon V1 to M4/3!
In reply to NathanCrisman, 10 months ago

NathanCrisman wrote:

Iv been looking more and more at the panasonic GX7, G6, or the EM5. (EM1 being simply too expensive). While I do like my Nikon V1 kit (6.7-13, 10, 10-30, 30-110, 18.5) for it's bulk/weight, I still yearn for all the control and ergonomic fixes that most V1 owners gripe about. IMHO image quality is excellent on the V1, so any improvement going to M4/3 is welcome, but not a consideration in the decision.

I was a Nikon SLR and semi-pro user. Never went the DSLR route because of size & weight of the bodies. I've been looking at the Nikon AW1 for snorkeling , etc. to augment my M4/3 kit… GX7 and GH2.

I'm looking with contempt at the panasonic 8mm fisheye, wishing nikon would put out a native CX fish (never happen). When I was DX nikon..the 10.5mm fisheye was a go-to lens for me?

The manual Bower/Rokinon/Samyang 7.5mm fisheye is a better, cheaper route. $300-ish vs. $800-ish.

does the touchscreen work well to move focus points quickly while using the EVF?......IMHO the v1's method is annoying And fiddley using the tiny 4 way buttons, and the center button doesn't reset it to middle.

Yes, with the GX7. You can use the LCD to move focus point while using the EVF, or use the 4-way buttons. Your choice.

can the EVF and LCD be set to show WYSIWYG exposure?....ie..turn off auto gain on the screens. I want to look in the viewfinder and see the actual exposure and resultant capture. Right now with my V1 in M mode...I can set ISO200/F5.6 1/200 in a dim room....look in the he viewfinder and see a nicely lit room, yet shoot a frame that is solid black. In that situation, I want to see solid black Before I capture.

Yes. And with the GX7 or GH-series there's the Constant Preview feature that shows instant, real time exposure. Most other M4/3 cameras require pressing a user-define able Preview button, I think.

Auto ISO Adjustable limits, logical use in M mode, display of chosen value in EVF? ISO on a mechanical button would be awesome too Rather than menu only.

Never use auto-ISO. On Panasonics there's a dedicated ISO button… the top 4-way control button or on the GH3 a dedicated button behind the shutter button

live histogram Or even white point clipping Pre-capture?

Yes, live histogram and highlighting can be activated. Also the GX7 had focus peaking for manual focus or manual lenses.

Any control for off camera flash. Can the pop-up work as a commander?

Never use flash, but I think most current cameras have it.

slightly bigger lenses in physical size/weight (side effect of bigger sensor). I'm more concerned with weight than bulk.

Yes, marginally, but there's a pretty big array of native M4/3 lenses that cover 7mm to 300mm (14mm-600mm in 135 format). They go from the dirt cheap Body Cap and kit lenses to the new $1600 Panasonic 42.5mm and a lot in-between. There are also quite a few very fast native manual lenses from Voigtländer and SLR Magic, if that's you cup 'o tea.

If you choose tho adapt manual lenses, like Nikon or Leica mount, etc, the handling will be much better with the more ergonomically designed bodies like the GH3, EM1, G6 and GX7. The EM5 handling isn't so great unless you spend a few hundred bucks for an add-on grip Which also increases the size and weight quite a bit.

lens mount bayonet that rotates reverse of nikon (been a nikon guy for decade- old habits die hard)

Yep. Oh well…

do oly/pano zoom and focus rings function in reverse rotation compared to nikon? (Clockwise to zoom FL+)

I'm not sure. I use adapted Nikon lenses, but haven't noticed.

4:3 aspect ratio riles!!! I have been composing in 3:2 for years and years (since looking down into hass 501C). This is a big change in either the way I shoot or the way I post process. 50% of my pics end up printed 4x6"

M4/3 has four different aspect ratios available: 1:1, 3:2, 4:3 and 16:9. Take your pick! It's easy to switch.

As a side note, I dabbled with m4/3 2 years ago when I first sold off my nikon dslr gear and got out of photography as a job (wedding & events). Had a e-pl2 w/ kit lens that was adequate for IQ but I couldn't do without an EVF. I got into nikon V1 right about when they started selling fire sale stupid cheap.

There are plenty of M4/3 cameras with built-in  EVF, so that's a non-issue at this point.

One other note about the user interfaces. Panasonic's touch interface is very good, often reviewed as the best out there. Their menu system is also fairly logically laid out. Olympus, unfortunately seems to have hired the guys who invented DOS or VCR interfaces, it's overly complex and downright Byzantine in comparison to others.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow