ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maidmarcia
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
New to this
9 months ago

Hi all,

I just bought my first DSLR and I'm looking for a place to talk to people about my camera and share the common interest  I'm definitely what you would call a novice so I'm also in search of advice and tips.

I used to shoot with Pentax SLRs, develop my own film and pictures, but that was years ago and I barely remember any of the technical aspects.  I have the camera manual but I find it to be pretty tedious and difficult in answering questions...Still slogging through it.

I ended up buying a Pentax K-5 and in retrospect probably should have gone with something a bit simpler, but all the reviews were so fantastic and the price was great.

Anyway, just wondering if 
A) anyone has any starter tips or guides to using this camera.  So far I have used it only in automatic mode although I took a couple pictures manually outside during the day

and

B) what lens you would recommend.  I want to focus mainly on portraits and got a 18-55mm lens with my body.  Is there another lens I should be looking for?  I read some good things about the 43mm F1.9 SMC-FA but I'm not 100% sure of what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

maidmarcia's gear list:maidmarcia's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow