Like?
Re: D800/e users...
In reply to bobn2, 8 months ago

bobn2 wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

Al,

see below

Al Downie wrote:

If you're anything other than an exclusively landscape photographer, do you find the extra megapixels a blessing or a curse?

for landscape work at base iso the extra megapixels are fantastic. However, for other purposes they can be a pain. In my experience steadier handholding and/or higher shutter speeds can be required for a sharp image.

That's only the case if you're judging 'sharp' by pixel peeping at 100%. If you look at your images the same size then the D800 will be just as sharp as any other camera, in fact a little sharper.

I guess we'll have to agree to differ on this. My experience is that to get the same level of visible sharpness even at screen size I'm going for 0-30% faster shutter speeds. Its in lower or weaker light (and thus lower shutters speeds and or higher ISOs) that you notice this, in brighter conditions you won't.

People may say storage is cheap, but the sheer processing power required to open and edit a D800 raw will slow down your mac or PC.

It takes a bit longer, but macs and PCs are up to the task these days.

It takes me upward of twice as long to process photos from the D800E as it does those from the Df or D600. The difference is the wait for the computer to handle the files. I have a mid 2011 iMac with a 3.4 ghz core i7 and 16gb of memory.

Is the camera versatile enough to take good family photos (I have a very mobile 3yr old at home!) as well as portraits, sports etc?

portraits it does well, I would rather use something smaller for family photos. I think the D4 is a better option for sports

Clearly, but that is what it is optimised for. If the D4 wasn't better than the D800 for sports, Nikon's designers would have failed miserably. On the other hand, the D800 is quite competent for sports. I use mine 1.2x mode, 5FPS in those situations.

I guess I should have been clearer - when I owned my D600, that would have been first up for shooting sports as opposed to the D800E.

-- hide signature --

Bob

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow