Ultra Wide Lens Recomendations - Please Help!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
incrediblehark
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Ultra Wide Lens Recomendations - Please Help!
8 months ago

Hi Guys,

I've recently upgraded to FX (D610) and I've sold all of my DX gear.  I'm now in a position to make a quality lens purchase and I'm hoping to get some advice. I know this may have come up before in various bits and pieces on other threads, but I can't seem to narrow down what I'm looking for, or I guess needing help with.

I'm not a professional by any means, but I do expect a lot from my purchases and want to make educated decisions regarding them.  I have been using a Nikon 20mm AF-D which seems rather soft and I think I've either got a bad copy, or it's just not working as well as I would like with modern DSLR's.  It seemed to perform better with film.  I'm mainly looking to shoot landscapes and would love to use filters for effects and long exposures.

I'm wondering a few things:

1) Should I try a Nikon 20mm 2.8 AIS hoping to get sharper results that I'd be happy with?  The advantage would be a ton of money saved, and I can keep my Nikon prime love affair alive.

2) Should I pass on the 20mm Nikon's altogether, and try for another lens?  This is where I'm having trouble deciding.  Here are the lenses I'm considering:

Nikon 14-24mm (nervous about limited filter kits and size)

Nikon 16-35mm (nervous about sample variation and wide end distortion)

Nikon 17-35mm (have used this in the past and was happy, but that was on film)

Nikon 18-35g (only as a budget option if results are similar)

Zeiss 21mm

Zeiss 18mm

I know some of these lenses are expensive, but to me it would be worthwhile to get the most out of my purchase and have no regrets moving forward.  I'm hoping you guys could offer some advice as I know many of you have been in a similar position with such a difficult decision.

Thanks for your help!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow