Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stoppingdown
Regular MemberPosts: 313Gear list
Like?
Bright light spots and reflections - NEX 6
8 months ago

A few minutes ago I read the thread "Problem with Sony A7, reflections on the sensor" and I learned some new stuff - apparently the sensor could be involved in some the artifacts that appear when shooting at bright light spots.

So I guessed whether this could be the problem with my NEX-6 and the SEL1670Z flaring a lot with the sun in the frame. If you read my previous post, I said that I don't experience such a strong flare with my Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5.

So I quickly took the Nikkor lens and mounted via adapter on the NEX-6, then took some shots at the sun. Then I mounted it on the Nikon D5100 and took again some shots at the sun, trying to get the same alignment, focal and aperture. Take this with a pinch of salt, because I would like to repeat the test multiple times and in more controlled conditions.

But I think I'm seeing something interesting. The photo with the D5100 shows a typical flare that I'm used to. The photo with the NEX-6 shows the same "base" flare (note the magenta ball at the right upper corner that I managed to position in the same place) PLUS some strong green blob - the same that I've seen on the SEL1670Z and I was blaming the lens for.

Isn't this a hint that the sensor might be involved?

Note: the small green thing at the upper right corner in the second photo is a portion of a tent, flapped by the wind.

-- hide signature --

Fabrizio Giudici
http://stoppingdown.net

stoppingdown's gear list:stoppingdown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +14 more
Nikon D5100 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow