Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
mapgraphs
Regular MemberPosts: 393Gear list
Like?
Re: remaining "ignorant"
In reply to bobn2, 8 months ago

bobn2 wrote:

Tiger1 wrote:

I've owned 8x10 cameras, medium format, 35mm, digital cameras of varied sensor size. When I use my light meter and it gives me a shutter speed and F stop it works for ALL those formats!!!!

Of course it does, that is what it is designed to do.

-- hide signature --

Bob

And what is a Light Meter designed to do?

A Light Meter is designed to determine a desired EXPOSURE - for the chosen photo-sensitive material. That photo-sensitive material could be a film emulsion or a complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor. The Light Meter doesn't care. The Light Meter produces suggested EXPOSURE settings that work across media, from different film emulsions to N-type metal-oxide-semiconductors, complementary metal–oxide–semiconductors or any Charged-Coupled Device that will take an optical image and convert it into an electric signal and then via software into a bitmapped image. And if you really want to understand CCD or CMOS "noise" do some research into real-time imaging software.

The bottom line is,

The Light Meter doesn't care. The Light Meter is doing what it is designed to do. It is a device that takes an optical image and converts that into an electric signal. It works with any film emulsion. Any CCD. Any CMOS. And at almost any ISO setting.

The Light Meter doesn't care how big the film is or how big the CCD or CMOS sensor is or what the focal length of the lens is or what the maximum aperture of a lens is or what the size of the Circle of Confusion is.

The Light Meter doesn't care. It produces EXPOSURE setting recommendations that work. It is not however, a Sonic Screwdriver that takes some thrown together techno-jargon and whip that into some Equivalentist Evangelical creed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Oh?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow