Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shutterbug013
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?
Wedding photography, is this normal?
10 months ago

I recently had the privilege of attending my aunts wedding this past weekend The ceremony was outside under a large oak tree with the reception in a local restaurant. I took my DSLR and shot a few images for myself. I admit that my images were not great but I was surprised with the official photographer. Now I do not know much about wedding photography but i do know how the basic shots should look and I do know how to take decent enough images with my camera.

During the day I noticed a few things with the photographer and I was wondering if they were normal.

The first is regarding equipment. I believe she was using a Nikon D7000 with the 18-200 lens with a SB-600 speedlight. She had no other lenses,was not using a lens hood and did not have a tripod for the large group shots.

The second is general observations. I noticed that she also did not have a second shooter, and when asked if she was shooting RAW, she replied no - too much PP. She also had some of the photos from the ceremony already to deliver at the reception which was less then 35 minutes after the ceremony had finished. (They were on a USB stick) She also was only at the reception for about 20 minutes and did not stay for the cutting of the cake, first dance, speeches etc. She did not have a second flash and was using directional full flash where she did use it as oppose to bouncing it. When the group shots were being done there was also not much organisation to them and about half the people in the group shots were hidden behind the people in front of them. The wedding was not massive - about 60 people in total and the group shots were taken outside and most of the shots had about 10 people in them. I believe she did also not take any photos of the people attending the wedding (except group photos) nor did she take any macro shots of the rings or bouquet.

Now i do not know the terms of the contract or the price of the photographer and i am not saying do not hire this photographer, i just found it interesting and somewhat surprising by her choice of experiment and her style of shooting and i was wondering if this is normal with most wedding photographers and i was just expecting too much.

Shutterbug013's gear list:Shutterbug013's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +1 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow