Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Lindsay D
Regular MemberPosts: 349
Like?
Re: Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?
In reply to Mr Sincere, 9 months ago

I wish I could suggest a remedy for this problem, but it's very difficult to determine where the cause lies. It seems that some users experience it and not others. I have the EM1, EM5 and EPL5 and a wide range of Olympus and Panasonic lenses, but I have never seen the problem irrespective of shutter speed. So the issue may be down to the individual user or else technical variances between batches of the same camera. Next time I see the Olympus rep I will ask.

Whilst unrelated, I remember a few years back when many of us were using the original Canon 5D. A lovely camera, but prone to the most horrendous mirror slap at certain shutter speeds (thankfully we do not have that to contend with on the cameras under discussion) but it could be overcome by using a particular handholding technique. The problem could sometimes manifested in the slight doubling the OP is describing, since the 'mirror shock' caused lateral movement. Anyway, it was a question of creating opposing diagonal forces, with the left palm pushing up against the bottom left corner of the camera and the right-hand pushing down towards the left hand, with the soft tissues of the palms absorbing the vibration. It worked unbelievably well. So it may be worth the OP trying some different holding techniques first and then if the problem persists it may be a case of exchanging the camera and seeing what happens.

Technique is very important and often overlooked since we will all generally presume we're holding the camera correctly, or in a stable enough way. This won't always matter much at very high shutter speeds or even very low ones, but the low to mid speeds tend to show up any problems. Due to muscle memory I seem to automatically adopt the "diagonal pressure" technique when my brain thinks it's necessary and it does seem to help whatever camera I'm using. To be clear, I am not suggesting the problem doesn't exist, I'm just suggesting a process of elimination before abandoning the camera.

-- hide signature --

www.lindsaydobsonphotography.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow