Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,498Gear list
Like?
Formats, pixels and max print sizes
9 months ago

With the technology available today, scanned film or digital, what are the maximum print sizes one could be comfortable with in terms of resolution and IQ generally? Or, to turn the question round, which formats and pixel densities are more than adequate for A0, A1, A2, A3 etc.? For my part, how big can I go with a 5MP scan of a 6x9, or with 16MP APS-C?

I've just had some printing done, very interesting. Printing from APS-C, for example, at 8x12 or 12x18 forgives a multitude of sins in all sorts of ways; I'm interested in finding the point where the sins are not forgiven.

It is a bit of an eye-opener if you don't print often. At the sizes I quote above, I seriously don't think one would be able to tell the small formats apart, although I'd be interested in the maxima for, say, an A7r or D800 versus a 5D Mk 1, say, and whether those extra pixels would make a visible difference.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow