EXR Confusion not fully resolved

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,882
Like?
Re: EXR Confusion not fully resolved
In reply to photoreddi, 8 months ago

photoreddi wrote:

No, you relish trying to correct people but in this case it's YOU that are wrong.

I relish my daughter getting healthy, not correcting people on an anonymous forum.

You're talking about the entire sensor, ignoring or not recognizing that I wrote this :

On a pixel basis the larger M size pixels capture more photons so their DR will be greater than the L size pixels (substitute photosites for pixels here if you prefer.)

But you are right, I puzzled up your "pixel basis" statement with a "sensor basis" one. Sorry for that.

Now if you can demonstrate that M size pixels are the same size as L size pixels then maybe you have a point to make.

Here I have to disagree again, though. M size pixels are the same as L size pixels, it's still a 12 mp sensor capturing 12 mp data. It is not a 6 mp sensor where each pixel has a deeper photon well with higher linear dynamic range. Instead the 12 mp pixels are averaged down to 6 mp and then demosaiced, they are not summed up to a higher signal strength. Averaging lowers noise and thus increases signal-to-noise ratio.

You can do the very same using an L size image and downsizing it after demosaicing. The benefit of the EXR sensor based averaging is that only pixels of same filter-color and very close proximity (nearly showing the same information) are averaged. You can get an idea of post-demosaicing results by looking at the measurements of the FinePix-F800EXR at DxOmark, comparing Screen (16 mp pixel) vs. Print (8 mp averaged) results.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Fujifilm/FinePix-F800EXR

That you appear to be supporting Joms's unsupportable statements is interesting if not amusing. Great minds think alike, or so they say.

I assume this is meant to be an intelligent but snide remark. People on this forum always amaze me with their blatant demonstration of human nature.

-- hide signature --

Red flash eyes save lives and eye-sight!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoblastoma

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow