Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Mal_In_Oz
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?
Take it back and exchange it like Michael K
In reply to Michael Kilpatrick, 8 months ago

Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

I have used three EM5 bodies - one that I have had for 18 months, two that I bought as backups for holiday trips 12 months apart, then sold after the trip.

After taking thousands of shots with those bodies, I haven't really had an issue with shutter shock, except that with my 100-300, I can go a bit lower in hand held shutter speed, or on a monopod, with 1/8 sec anti-shock engaged. That's kind of to be expected, although the delay is a nuisance sometimes.

I haven't noticed any shutter shock type blurring with any other lens on those EM5 bodies, at any shutter speed - other lenses I have are the 45 mm 1.8, the 12-50 kit lens and the 9-18 ultra wide.

On the other hand, I returned two EM1 bodies in October that were completely unable to produce a sharp image at 1/250 sec with my 9-18, hand held. The problem was verified by the sales guy, who eventually offered a refund, which I accepted. That's a long story that isn't relevant to your question though.

Based on these comments and the same from DPReview on the EP5, and the rather polarised view of other users on EM5, EP5 and EM1, I would say that there might be a problem with the 5 axis IBIS on some samples. Perhaps this is a manufacturing defect that shows up from time to time.

Regarding the blurred image in the OP at 1/250s, I have never seen that before at that shutter speed. I would take it back and try another EP5.

In answer to your question, I expect an EM5 would be better, based on the three that I have used.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Michael Kilpatrick
www.pbase.com/mrk03

Mal_In_Oz's gear list:Mal_In_Oz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow