Why I shoot digital Locked

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Kendunn
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Re: To me the whole film arguement seems backwards...
In reply to MoreorLess, 8 months ago

MoreorLess wrote:

Going back to a lot of comments made in the other thread for me a lot of peoples attitude towards film seems backwards. I see so many people looking to push film as a "learning tool" but to me it just seems so much more limiting in that regard than digital. The ability to learn quickly from my mistakes with digital has helped me advance faster over the last 3-4 years then I could have done over many more with film.

I can see that film does still have some advantages over digital, cheaper MF, access to LF and panoramic and the very cheap 35mm cameras you don't need to worry about but for me its something I think the vast majority when benefit from in addition to digital NOT as a learning tool.

Film today to me seems to link into GAS worse than anything else, not only does the relative cheapness of the camera's allow people to buy many of them but they are often obscure and "sexy". I can see why this appeals to people more than say plugging away with a digital rebel but ultimately I think they'd be better focusing on their output.

If you want to learn photography, take a 4x5 out.  Digital gives you way to many crutches.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
XP2New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow