Thinking of switching: what is BAD about the XE1?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,299Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of switching: what is BAD about the XE1?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 7 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

I have XE1, Nex 6 and Sony A7r, sold my X100s (beautiful camera but too similar to XE1) and Nikon D800e.

XE2 is from reports overall very snappy. I think its an X100s in an XE1 body.

>>> Reports of bad skin plastic tones at higher ISO - 3200 and above. XE1 does not have that issue so Fuji changed the hgih ISO smoothing algorithim there for the worse. <<<

Greg.

I think you're right on with the idea that the X-E2 is an X100s in an X-E1 body. Much the same way that I believe the X-T1 is going to turn out to be an X-E2 in an SLR-shaped body.

But as for the reports of plastic skin tones, I came across that issue in a thread here a day or two ago. I'd never heard of that before. Like you, I assumed that it had something to do with a changed algorithm in the image processing unit.

I took the issue over to a different forum inhabited by Fuji fanatics, and asked how real an issue it is. I got slammed a bit for mentioning the subject; I'm not sure why, but one person commented it had been "discussed to death ..."

Amongst the less emotionally attached responses I drew, I learned that this issue is not something new that came along with the X Trans2 setup. The same problem exists IN THE X-E1, as well. And I take that to mean it's present in the X-Pro1, also.

The diagnosis in several responses stated it is related to noise reduction and sharpening algorithms that only seem to come into play with skin tones when the camera is set to ISO's = 3200 or above.

I've owned my X-E1 for just about a year now and I've never encountered the phenomenon. I got concerned when I heard this is found in the X-E2, since I'm planning on buying one of these in the next week or two. Since it's an on-going problem that's never come up for me, I'm not going to worry about it at this point.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow