Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NomadMark
Regular MemberPosts: 459Gear list
Like?
Zeiss Sonnar 55mm FE vs. Zeiss Planar 50mm ZM
11 months ago

So, I bought an A7R close to a month ago. I sold my NEX 7 on the day it was announced. I feel in love with the NEX, and fell in love all over again with the RX1. Sony sensors are just a dream, and the files they produce are not touchable. Beat my Canon bodies, hands down.

Now...if my 24-70 f4 would ever ship, I would be in heaven!

Meanwhile, I DO have a Planar. Was the only piece of my NEX 7 kit that I kept. Always thought it to be one sharp piece of glass. Meanwhile, a short while back, I read an article that stacked up several Legacy mount lenses from Leica and so on, against the 55mm Sonnar, and the Otis. It seems the Sonna was the only lens that could holds its own against the Otis. It managed to come damn close, if not almost exact, in some parts of the frame. Which left me thinking...how would my Planar stack up? Weak like the rest of the competition?

Well, I went to the shop today, to test. And, I can honestly say, the Planar is right up there. I shot off a number of shots, wide open from each, at 1/125 and something like ISO 200. Not real scientific mind you...both wide open, so F2 vs. F1.8. And At home on the monitor...I can't see any difference. If anything, I think the Planar might show a slight edge (F2 vs F2 might be a slightly different story again).

At any rate, I am thinking I may make the switch after all. The build quality of the 55mm is most impressive!! AF would be nice, too. But, for me, that is the only real difference.

I have included a center crop just in case you would be interested in seeing. Planar top, Sonnar bottom.

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow