Why I shoot digital Locked

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Raymond Cho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,086Gear list
I use both
In reply to brianric, 8 months ago

Sure, digital is way more flexible, way more modern, way more IQ, color accurate and modern yes. No doubt.

I use film b/c it is a hobby an I like to be more involved, than just refer to the LCD and Photoshop / LR it until I am happy with it. So I like the hands on approach, research, choose film, shoot it slowly carefully, wait for the results when it's at the lab. Employing grad filters, warming / cooling filters etc.

I just got into self processing b/w film, I just carry a 2nd body like a Nikon FM2 similar to the Olympus OM.

For a hobbyist it is a lot cheaper too. Instead of the fancy internal motor VR/IS nano coated lenses, lenses have gotten a lot more expensive, every new model gets more expensive, even the same stuff year after year can be more. For the amount of nice shots an amateur gets, is a $2,000 camera body worth it? Financially they could get a $100 film body with much cheaper lenses. Still money left over for film and lab / chemistry costs. To me there is a lot more feel with film. I've been to photography galleries but I preferred the film collection there ...

But sure for high ISO it is digital. I don't do much of that. Mainly off a tripod but when I do b/w I like the grainy look for the occasional street / travel photo. I use digital mainly for things like passports, family and friends where they need it on FB.

Mainly shooting Velvia slides and b/w film not the C41 stuff at all now, nor the b/w C41.  I do the DIY developing.  Looking at picking up a Hasselblad film body.

Raymond Cho's gear list:Raymond Cho's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
XP2New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow