Another bad K-3, what is with this.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Nuffin
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
Re: Another bad K-3, what is with this.
In reply to Petroglyph, 11 months ago

Nuffin wrote:

My K3 is in service for backfocus issues. Kinda disappointed mine had this issue. I'm keen to see if the service department will blame it on the lens, the body, or me.

I spoke to a tech recently and he somewhat indicated that I wasn't testing my focus properly. We'll hello! If I focus on something (like batteries lined up at 45 degree angle) and get a focus indicator on the middle, if I take a shot (even with a tripod and on timer) why is it back focusing?

I wouldn't let them get away with that.  I've been fortunate not to have to deal with a lot of service for cameras.  K5 is the only digital Pentax slr I've owned until the K3.  I haven't had the K3 long enough to do a lot of testing but I can say the center point in AF-S is picking and nailing the target for me thus far.  That's the standard I'd hold the Service group to since the camera looks capable of stunning accuracy if calibrated correctly.  Sometimes clerks in cameras shops can be aggravating with their "advice" which sounds similar to this.  I always test indoors with a ruler lined at an angle.  Try to get the 10cm hash in sharp focus and one can even measure DOF or check back/front focus.  Sounds similar to lining up batteries.  Good luck.

Hi petroglyph,
Just to ensure that my testing wasn't scrutinized by the techs, I made sure the batteries were precisely at 45-deg. My camera focal plane was perpendicular to the middle battery to ensure I shot the batteries at 45deg. I had very sufficient lighting. I shot with the camera on the table (timer with SR off), and with a tripod at an even further distance (same height at table, timer with SR off), and the results were the same, at +10 on practically all my lenses, the back battery was more in focus.

I wrote all this down, and how I tested it for the techs to know that I didn't just take 1-shot and blamed it on the camera. As a proud owner of a K3,
I would hate to think I got a lemon (or that the K3
has problems in general). However, once I performed a systematic test with the tools that is made available to me, it's unfortunate to say my K3 has issues. I'll advise once I have it back and whether things are fixed.

Nuffin's gear list:Nuffin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Pentax K-5 Nikon 1 J1 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow