Why I shoot digital Locked

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
jay bbe
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Re: agreed
In reply to Jaberwok, 10 months ago

Jaberwok wrote:

I couldn't do my job without a digital camera. incredibly convenient and technically first class. I can do things with it that I couldn't do 20 years in my wildest dreams (wifi downlink from my tethered helium lifting balloon for one..)

But sometimes I like to get down and salty in the darkroom with my view camera. It's a solid beast from the 192o's of brass and mahogany and a ground glass screen with a head cloth. Great fun and 5"x7" negs that produced a stonking quality image. However it is fun. Using it all day for work assuredly wouldn't be great..humping it around and cutting sheet film in the dark.

There are a couple of quite aggressive threads running Film vs Digital, driven by one particular forum member who appears to have an agenda. I don't know why?

Film and digital are actually complimentary. I simply don't see political correctness in forcing the use / acceptance of one media over another.

As part of one my photography course modules I wanted to use large format but the department only had a few LF cameras students could borrow and I did not want to end up missing out so I paid for use of a fine art photographer's studio.  His 5x7 camera was a real beast from a similar era, likewise his enlarger, it was a challenging but fun experience.

Film and digital are indeed complimentary and photographers should feel free to use  whatever mediums they like without having to validate their choices.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
XP2New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow