D800/e users...

Started Jan 25, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Truman Prevatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,263Gear list
Re: D800/e users...
In reply to Al Downie, Jan 25, 2014

Al Downie wrote:

If you're anything other than an exclusively landscape photographer, do you find the extra megapixels a blessing or a curse? Is the camera versatile enough to take good family photos (I have a very mobile 3yr old at home!) as well as portraits, sports etc?

If you had the choice again, would you still choose D800 over the D610?

Thanks for any thoughts!

I do landscape, I do cityscapes, I do street photography, I do available light photography. I shoot training and racing thoroughbreds.   If I am not shooting film I shoot a D800E.  The only time I shoot film these days is with my 4x5.  Is the D800E the best for all the above - maybe yes maybe no but it is good enough that I can make it work quite well and it is very good.  I might one day drop 8 to 10 K to get a Leica to supplement my D800E but right now I'm quite happy which is why I haven't dropped 8 to 10 K.

If you want to drop 3K for a camera - the D800 or D800E will work fine for you.  It will probably do all you need it to do.

-- hide signature --

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow