Mirrorless (sony nex7) vs DSLR (nikon d7000)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rcf123
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Mirrorless (sony nex7) vs DSLR (nikon d7000)
9 months ago

I know that this has been asked/answered multiple times throughout internet forums, but there is something I'm just not so sure about (perhaps this has in fact been brought up, and if so I would appreciate being redirected to that discussion!).

What I use cameras for is mainly travel photography. For this reason, a mirrorless makes sense to me, and I like the sony nex 7 (or its successor that is rumored to come out shortly).

Because I would probably want the reach of a 200mm lens, my options would be the kit + 55-210 + smaller prime or 18-200 + smaller prime.

However, it doesn't make much sense to me to have such bulky lenses on a small camera. My whole goal was to have less weight...Plus I haven't heard the best things regarding the long end of the 18-200 in addition to its steep price tag. So, that makes me lean towards kit + 55-210 + smaller prime which is 3 already. Adding size and weight and making it harder to capture a shot quickly if I have to switch lenses to get it.

Then there is the dslr option (I like nikon d7000) which answers my major problems with the nex (better AF and weather sealing) but it is big and heavy. However, I could get a great lens covering 18-200 range or even the smaller 18-105 which I would be fairly happy with, too. Anyways, I would probably want a small prime with that, so 2 lenses max for that system. This seems attractive and potentially easier to hold than the nex with larger lenses.

I don't really know what to think. Is there anything that I am not taking into account?

Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow