D800/e users...

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,469Gear list
Like?
Re: D800/e users...
In reply to Al Downie, 6 months ago

Al Downie wrote:

Hi all, and thanks very much for the comments so far!

Ralf, I'm particularly interested in this:

You will benefit from fast focusing AF-S-lenses, not so much from "fast" glas like 1,4 lenses, as depth of field will be too shallow.

The combination I was thinking about was the D800e and the 85mm f1.4G. Are you saying that there's something about the D800/e that makes the 85 1.4 more difficult to use than it would be on any other body? I've seen many ambiguous reviews which say something similar, but I'm not sure if they mean that my pictures will be rubbish, or simply no better than a 'normal' DSLR until I've mastered the technique for exploiting the huge resolution.

Thanks again,

Al

I think he is only referring to you wanting to shoot fast moving kids.  The AF is up to the task.  Get fast focusing AF-S lenses.  He's is saying that if you get 1.4 fast lenses with the intention of keeping the ISO as low as possible by shooting at f/1.4 you will probably be disappointed because the shallow DOF at f/1.4 will probably not result in good focus on fast moving subjects.

That's my interpretation of what I read.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow