Help a newbie? Which Pentax camera & lense(s) for £1000?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RobAHu
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
Help a newbie? Which Pentax camera & lense(s) for £1000?
9 months ago

A friend of mine is interested in buying a DSLR, mostly to get photos of his newborn and wife.

I'm a Nikon shooter (D800), but I don't have experience of Nikon's consumer DX cameras so I'm not sure what to recommend there. I have read that with Pentax you get more for your money (e.g. people compare the K5-II to the D7100 which costs 1/3rd more than the K5-II), so I thought it would be useful for him to have some ideas of what he could get for his money if he went the Pentax route.

I would really appreciate it if you could give me some ideas of what you would say to a friend of yours who asked a similar question. What body would you recommend? Which lenses would be on your suggestion list? I'm assuming the kit lenses aren't going to be too hot (please correct me if I'm wrong).

For example if he had a Nikon full frame camera I would recommend the 50mm or 85mm 1.8 lenses. I'm not averse to zoom recommendations though, I don't know which lenses are high quality and good value in the Pentax range (I have heard Pentax lenses are quite good).

I'm assuming that a flash is something he could get later (although recommendations on what Pentax compatible flashes are worth considering are useful).

He wants to spend about £1000 (although if it was a bit higher that might be ok, and a lot less would be ok too). He doesn't have very much photography experience (currently he has a Fujifilm X100).

Thank you.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D7100 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow