Thinking of switching: what is BAD about the XE1?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
MatW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of switching: what is BAD about the XE1?
In reply to Christof21, 8 months ago

Christof21 wrote:

First of all, I would like to say that I love my x-e1. That said, I have many regrets:

You can not use the AF-L button in manual to quickly focus, I love using it with the other lenses. The way it behaves varies with the lenses, this choice is not really consistent and a bit irritating. This is my first complain.

You can use the AF-L button with the 23/1.4 and 14/2.8 as well if you leave the focus ring of the lens in AF mode but set the camera body to MF. Doing that the focus ring on the lens will be locked, but the AF-L button for focusing will work.
However, with the two lenses mentioned above it is not possible to focus manually using the focus rings while at the same time using the AF with the AF-L button. The way the whole system is designed makes this impossible. Think of the DOF scale and the fixed "ends" at infinity and the closest focusing distance. They have to match the actual distance the lens is focused at, if AF were to interact you would create one big mess.

MatW's gear list:MatW's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow