Thinking of switching: what is BAD about the XE1?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
PenPix
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?
Re: Thinking of switching: what is BAD about the XE1?
In reply to WT21, 6 months ago

WT21 wrote:

I'm thinking of consolidating to Fuji.

I have today the 6D, NEX6 and Canon M1. With the X-T1, that looks like a body I'd love, but down the road. I can't afford it just yet, as I need both a larger body for flash, and a compact body.

So I'm thinking of the XE1 + XM1 (or maybe an XA1) to start. I'd get the 2.8-4 kit lens, the 35/1.4 and the 55-200 zoom, and would like to use some legacy lenses (I have an FD 50mm macro and a Rokkor 45/2 which I like a lot. I might also possibly get the 23 pancake.

Go for the X-E1 for now.  The EVF is infinitely useful.  Great deals.  XE1 + XM1... Why?

Besides the development issues of XTran RAW on lightroom, what are the negatives of the XE1?

Silkypix is clumsy to use, but doable.

Does it do focus peaking? In the viewfinder? to use with my legacy lenses?

Yes.  Only difference is you have to use stop-down metering techniques or go full manual.  Fuji lenses are so good I only use my Nikon macro as Fuji's 60mm only goes to 1/2 life-size.

Does the XE1 simulate exposure in the viewfinder? Does the XM1 or XA1 simulate it on the LCD?

X-E1, Yes.  Switchable.

I understand the AF has improved. But could I use the 50-200 for some kids events? Horse riding in a ring? School spirit days?

I have the 55-200.  Not speedy… nor is my 80-200 f/2.8D on my Nikon.  Actually the AF is much faster than my Nikon.

Are there any flash issues with the Fuji system?

EF-X20 cycle times are slow because of AAA batteries, but love that EV comp dial on top!  Pop-up flash accuracy and range is a significant reason why I chose the X-E1.  I'm going shopping this afternoon so I think I'll check out the EF-20 with it's AA batteries.

Any other issues/thoughts??

I'm very happy with the IQ, coming from a D200 + D700.

AF is sketchy in low light with the zooms... unless you're in Times Square that's lit like a nuclear detonation.

Battery life is poor, but similar to NEX.  Always carry a spare.

Thanks for any help.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow