RX100 shoots in a deep freeze! For a while...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
luckymandran
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
RX100 shoots in a deep freeze! For a while...
11 months ago

Ever wonder how the RX100 might perform in freezing temps?

I took my RX100 out to a local park to see what the waterfall might look like after several days of single digit temps here in Western New York. Even on this day it was only 12 degrees with strong winds so the wind chill was well below zero. The camera acted fine as I literally ran from one vantage point to the next snapping some shots. After about 40 minutes it had had enough and shut down with the screen telling me "exhausted battery". As I figured it was related to the cold as once home it fired right up with still over half the life remaining on the battery. I guess I just reached its breaking point? Whenever not shooting I did shut it down and put it in my pocket, along with my hands, to try to keep it out of the elements as best I could.

Also will add how I really wish there was some sort of internal ND filter so I could have shot at some slower shutter speeds. All I could do with an almost all white scene in daylight was about 160th of a second.

luckymandran's gear list:luckymandran's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon Coolpix AW110 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow