Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Allen Gerdes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,128
Like?
Re: Yes, it's cheating, in some cases
In reply to billythek, 9 months ago

billythek wrote:

A photographer has been fired because of manipulation

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/photography-blog/2014/jan/23/associated-press-narciso-contreras-syria-photojournalism

Sure, but news services have clear and unambiguous rules about manipulation that they spell out to their photographers. I think in the incident in question, the photographer just made a bonehead mistake and forgot the rule. Too bad. I don't think the manipulation materially altered the reality of the picture, it just removed an annoying distraction. But rules are rules.

But no such rules exist for modifying the background of a mothers picture of her little girl. Provided it improves the picture I don't see much harm. But, I've seen lots of botched jobs at replacing skies, for example, that make me want to scream.

I agree with what you have said, Bill, but we must all remember that this is a retouching forum and most of us are posting our efforts and trying to learn from constructive criticism.....thus replacement backgrounds do not often properly fit the foreground, whether it be because of subject, composition, lighting or a combination of any or all of these.

Sometimes the person submitting their work is only trying to learn one aspect, such as extraction of a subject and placing it on a new background and at the time is not overly concerned if the background is actually realistic when viewed with the new foreground.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WhyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow