Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bvphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 247
Like?
How to set flash sync speed in X-E1
8 months ago

Sorry to bring up this very basic question. But I'm new to the Fujifilm X system after many years with Canon. I find the latter's menu system (on all the cameras I've used) to be intuitive. I have struggled with Fujifilm's (to me) less intuitive system. I'm currently stumped on how one can set the flash sync speed. I used a hotshoe trigger to trigger my Canon Speedlite. That works fine, but the shutter speed is set based on ambient light. I know the max sync speed is 1/180th, although people have reported using it up to 1/250th. All that's great, but where do you set this? The manual says nothing. Online forums only talk about being able to set it, an old posting even helpfully stated that one has to press the right and left button to set the speed. But I can't even see any place where it specifies the (default) speed. The only 2 menu options related to the flash that I see are "Flash Mode" & "Flash". "Flash Mode", which is where I'd logically expect to be able to set the sync speed has the following options: "Forced Flash", "Slow Synchro", "2nd Curtain Sync" & "Commander". Each of them is selectable, but the speed is not settable.

If it matters, I'm using manual aperture control on the kit lens, and have set the shutter speed dial to A.

Please help! Thanks!

(PS: don't tell me the way to set the sync speed is to simply rotate the shutter speed dial on top of the camera!)

-- hide signature --

Canon 6D, Canon 50D, Canon 100 f2, Canon 100-400 IS, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 24-105mm IS, Canon 70-200mm f4 IS, Mamiya Sekor 55mm 1.8, Vivitar 135mm 2.8, Tamron Pro 1.4TC, Speedlite 430EX, Feisol 3402 + Giotto ballhead.

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow