GX7 Lens Review on DxO

Started Dec 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Pictures shooter
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: DxOMark promises to retest the GX7
In reply to Anders W, 11 months ago

One month passed and we didn't see any new revised results of GX7/lenses from DXO yet.

After some reflections I begin to believe that it's not an accidental solitary isolated failing of DXO test. No, apparently this case is just the next illustration of general trend of DXO tests quality.

So, some serious doubts begin come to my mind and generally it looks like for me that DXO tests are not trustworthy at all.

The simplest example: based on dpreview's GX7 review we can see that GX7's ISO125 value does not extend the camera dynamic range, quite the contrary ISO125 reduces its real DR. I myself face with an unpleasant overexposure in the bright lights if I set ISO125, and it happens more often than if I use ISO200 that is apparently GX7's native base ISO value. You can easily check that DXO's GX7 test shows absolutely different results. Looking at DXO pictures we get impressions that ISO125 is definitely better also concerning GX7's dynamic range value.

Next example, I'm the owner both Pany G5 and GX7 and based on my personal experience I can say that G5 provides much worst level of noise in shadows at high ISO than GX7 5 does, and so I could expect that any serious test in any well equipped laboratory should clearly show this GX7 obvious advantage, otherwise it's rather doubtful value of such testings... But I can't find such significant difference looking at DXO test at all, we can see just quite moderate 1...2 dB difference, no more...

We could find similar doubtful cases with other cameras too. Can we go on to trust DXO tests?

My personal feelings such tests look like too commercially affiliated to push some brands. I do would like to be wrong here.

Pictures shooter's gear list:Pictures shooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow