Starting a business specializing in portraiture

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
PenguinPhotoCo
Senior MemberPosts: 6,009Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's create a Semi-Pro Forum
In reply to Joe Pa, 6 months ago

Joe Pa wrote:

You need to read, the OP wants to start a business to initially help pay for his hobby.

No, you need to read. The OP didn't say that.

He is sticking his toe in the water and hoping to make a bit of money so he can buy more gear, I suspect most of us started out this way.

He said he didn't want to 'make a profit'. He wants to TFP - NOT bringing a DIME in money. So no, he's never gonna pay for gear that way.

You DO need to read better, read what is written, and not infer something that isn't there.

I realize to many, this is sacrilege and feel the need to stomp on their hopes and dreams in order to discourage them from competing. I have given this a lot of thought and wonder why this industry is so insecure when it comes to new people entering the industry. Do you think Pearl Jam is afraid of the local bar band stealing money from them? Does Tom Hanks worry about the actors in indie films stealing his next starring role? Is Tiger Woods discouraging people from becoming pro golfers out of fear someone might beat him?

If it's a hobby THEN DO NOT CHARGE MONEY.
Do not PRETEND you have a business.

WHy are SOOOO MANY determined to call themselves 'professional' and charge money?

If the hobby is too expensive for them then get a second job or a different hobby. Don't go telling people 'I"m a pro- PAY ME!' when YOU ARE NOT.

The OP loves photography, he wants to supplement his income and his hobby by taking on some small jobs.

Then he needs to do some homework and planning. Or he will fail at that goal (of making money) Nobody here is saying DO NOT DO IT - we are ALL saying -If you want to SUCCEED then "this' is what you need to do.

But too many see that as 'work' and not 'fun'. Fine - then DON"T DO IT. DO NOT call yourself a professional and charge people money.

Maybe we pros should open a FANTASY CAMP where hobbyists can come and pretend to be professionals?
It's out there for rock star wanna be's that don't want to 'pay their dues' to become successful. http://www.rockcamp.com/

His work should have no impact on an established business, unless of course you live in the same town or city as him and you're not a very good businessman or photographer.

I can slap him on the back and say good luck, have a great time. And you are doing that. He'll love you and hate me.

But following your advice does NOTHING for him. 5 years from now he's gonna be making peanuts, breaking laws (although he is asking about that - good for him) and making no more money than he is making now.

Others here who have turned a hobby into a paying profession know what needs to be done. We offer that advice. is it easy, fun, exciting? Nope, not really. But raising kids has a lot of puke and diapers in it too - well worth it though.

If he wants to see his 'baby' grow up he's gonna have to step and be a 'parent' and do the hard, unpleasant, unrewarding parts of the job too. To tell him otherwise is doing him, and any other 'dreamer' a big disservice.

How about we embrace these people, help them out and not be so judgmental.

Where is the judgement? ANYONE say he can't do it? His pics suck? Not that I say to this point.

If I was from the UK I'd have gladly given him all the information he needed without the condescending tones I see so often here.

yes, a few have said 'use google' and 'go read a book'. I've read at least 50 marketing books of one kind or another, another 50 on photography, more on sales, running a business, etc. And I think you'll find most business people have done similar.

Business success isn't for wallflowers. It's not gonna fall in your lap anymore than Miss World is gonna come knock on your door and take you out on the town. YOU have to go out there and get it for yourself.
That's what I'm seeing here - advice on how to do that.

Maybe we need a semi-pro forum here, one where people like the OP can get some advice on how to start out but don't want to spend the next six months developing business plans, etc.

Wow.
 All I can say is Wow.

A business plan is a road map and nothing more. You can't expect to get to Budapest from Moscow by randomly walking about.
A map - what roads, when to turn. Bus, train, car, plane? How much time, gas, is needed? Gonna stop for food? Need to spend a night in a hotel...10 nights?

If the OP, or anyone, wants to have a SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS then they need a plan. It can be simple or complex and detailed.

Simple - he wants to build his portfolio. How long will that take? 5 sessions? 100? 1 week or 5 years?

I want to make $30k this year say, shooting weddings. How do I do that? Hope and a prayer? Nope, no way. That's dreaming and it WILL NOT WORK.

Will telling people work? Mailings? A bridal show? Putting flyers on cars outside bridal shops? yes, but how much of that is needed to get the weddings i need to do $30k in sales?

It's not rocket science, it's not too difficult for anyone to do. But it needs to be done if you want to be a 'professional' photographer or have a business that does more than buy your lunch every so often.

You all seem to ignore that there is a gray area for the transition that allows one to charge for their services yet does not require they be a "real" business as well. Even the IRS tax code allows you to make a certain amount of income from "outside sources".

"Transition' is called school, paying your dues, working as a second shooter or assistant. But nobody wants to do that anymore. They want to buy a camera and tomorrow be a "Professional photographer and business owner!"

You can probably cook a hamburger. So open a 'restaurant'. Do it on the side, out of your basement or from the trunk of your car at the local park. Invite people to your house and get $5/head for your burgers.

Sound like a good idea or some kind of joke?

A joke, right? And that's the issue we have with your suggestion - it's a cruel joke to tell people to do that and it's 'the path to success' - it's not. It's a fools errand.

I'd be happy to mod that forum and ensure all you dream stompers are providing constructive advice or get restricted from the threads.

Again, you and others have some kind of vendetta against me. READ THE POSTS IN THIS THREAD - and I mean READ, no assumptions and reading between the lines. Look at who is making the posts - it is not all me.
I'd be more than happy to post a list of blogs and sites that are more sugary than us here but say the same thing.
I think maybe I'll do that in the near future. And we all can just refer to that post on threads like this one.

-- hide signature --

Don't seek advice from someone who is not where you want to be - CJ Lewis
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow