Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,914Gear list
Like?
FF being squeezed by MF and MFT/APSC ?
11 months ago

How many times have we heard it? MFT is going out of business because compacts and smart phones are eating low sales, APSC will eat the high end sales. APSC users have been hearing the same, but only FF squeezing from above. P&S are likely dead, agreed apon even by those with them. Now, a new squeeze theory, but with some merit. Thats new

As some may know, Hasselblad and Phase1 are jumping to new waters, or at least they are tip toeing in. Multi shot features, far higher ISO, faster capture speeds, all of this is what lies ahead. In fact, short of the body style and AF pedigree, it sounds a lot like a DSLR. There is nothing in physics that limits a sensor size within a DSLR style body, or even within a MILC body. What if HB or P1 decide to throw in a 1DX'ish AF system but with a MF cmos sensor?

I see many people who shoot FF because they want larger sensors moving to MF. I also see MF prices dropping quite a bit, as we know fab costs of cmos are much cheaper than CCD. Interesting times, i wonder what will become of FF? The larger camera trumped by MF, and oversized compared to MFT? I think we better grab up the FF lens adapters, because soon enough there will be no other cameras to attach them to.

EDIT: Incidently, Pentax also makes MF. Considering they have experience here, i wonder if they might licence this new sony sensor, yet throw it in a K3'ish body? Give us an all in one body style instead of the DIG backs ect. DSLR AF and body, MF sensor, cheaper cmos design. Hmm....

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow