Starting a business specializing in portraiture

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
tcg550
Contributing MemberPosts: 845
Like?
Re: Starting a business specializing in portraiture
In reply to PenguinPhotoCo, 8 months ago

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

A business that does not make a profit is a non-profit business - aka, charity. the OP insists he is not a charity.

OK...then a business that LOSES money is a failure, as the intent and sole pupose of a BUSINESS is to make money for the INVESTORS/OWNERS.

I you want to give your money to a business 'activity' then that is called CHARITY.

A hobby is NOT a business. I guess you could have a 'hobby business' but why would you want to 'play' at business for relaxation and recreation? If you're any good at it you can make money and not have a need for a 'day job' where 'the boss' tells you what to do.

A hobby can have a purpose, or not. You do it for you.

Business, by definition, has a purpose. To provide a product/service and make a profit.

You can't redefine terms just because you want to.

Definition of Business:
2. the practice of making one's living by engaging in commerce.
1. a person's regular occupation, profession, or trade."

Definition of Hobby

an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

And we've gone over this before. Profit doesn't always mean cash especially when just starting out. He wants to take portraits in order to expand his portfolio. He wants to be sure he is covered in all the other aspects of a business.

When he gets the experience, exposure and portfolio I suspect he will have more question about what to charge.

When that happens you can give him the lecture about charging enough so you can make a profit.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow