Starting a business specializing in portraiture

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
PenguinPhotoCo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,138Gear list
Like?
Re: Starting a business specializing in portraiture
In reply to Joe Pa, 11 months ago

A business that does not make a profit is a non-profit business - aka, charity. the OP insists he is not a charity.

OK...then a business that LOSES money is a failure, as the intent and sole pupose of a BUSINESS is to make money for the INVESTORS/OWNERS.

I you want to give your money to a business 'activity' then that is called CHARITY.

A hobby is NOT a business. I guess you could have a 'hobby business' but why would you want to 'play' at business for relaxation and recreation? If you're any good at it you can make money and not have a need for a 'day job' where 'the boss' tells you what to do.

A hobby can have a purpose, or not. You do it for you.

Business, by definition, has a purpose. To provide a product/service and make a profit.

You can't redefine terms just because you want to.

Definition of Business:
2. the practice of making one's living by engaging in commerce.
1. a person's regular occupation, profession, or trade."

Definition of Hobby

an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

Joe Pa wrote:

Not every business seeks to make a profit that is tangible or self supporting. Photography, like some other recreational activities brings great joy and pleasure to people, but it's also quite expensive. Some, like the OP are quite content to initially dip their toes into the professional water to simply cover the costs of their hobby.

-- hide signature --

Don't seek advice from someone who is not where you want to be - CJ Lewis
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow