Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Joe Pa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,627Gear list
Like?
Re: Starting a business specializing in portraiture
In reply to PenguinPhotoCo, 11 months ago

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

you said:

In addition i am going to mention that initially i am not working for any profit, i am mainly focused on building up my portfolio and meeting with so called clients/models on time for print basis.

Businesses make profits. That is their sole purpose for being created - to make money. Not to lose money, not to work for 'trade' or 'barter'.

If you work for yourself then you have a business that employs you. If the business makes no money you can't pay yourself. That's not a job - its a hobby or a charity.

Not many retail/consumer photography businesses do hundreds of customers/sessions a year. If you are that busy raise your prices and reduce your workload and make as much for less work.

As it is I've only met a couple of photogs that truly have as much business as they want, and that's usually wedding photographers. Not sure I've ever met a portrait photographer that had as much business as they could handle.

-- hide signature --

Don't seek advice from someone who is not where you want to be - CJ Lewis
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value

Not every business seeks to make a profit that is tangible or self supporting.  Photography, like some other recreational activities brings great joy and pleasure to people, but it's also quite expensive.  Some, like the OP are quite content to initially dip their toes into the professional water to simply cover the costs of their hobby.

Joe Pa's gear list:Joe Pa's gear list
Canon PowerShot D30 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Canon EOS 6D +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow