Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Complete Beginner
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Fixed 35 mm lens question / slight variation on another recently asked question
9 months ago

I am VERY new to photography and have several questions. I am a dad primarily taking pictures of kids / vacation photos. NOT sports or action shots.

I have a fixed 35 mm lens camera (35 mm full-frame equivalent). I have read and seen examples of the distortion caused by wide-angle / 35mm lens portrait shots (head and shoulders). I understand that best lenses for portraits are 50mm + or 85 mm+ ,etc.

I have tried to read about the difference between field of view and perspective.

For best results, with a 35 mm fixed lens, what is the best way for me to get acceptable face photos?

I have read that 35 mm is ok for "environmental portraits." (which I prefer for vacations, etc)

In other words, is there a "rule of thumb" for wide-angle lenses: ?am I safe in assuming that it I DON'T fill the more than 1/3 of the frame with an adult size / head or face that it would be ok

Can I go as high as filling 1/2 of the 35 mm frame with an adult size / head or face?

This is probably not a very intelligent question.

I apologize in advance and appreciate any input.

Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow