Comparing Olympus 4/3lenses to FX "Full Frame" offerings

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,258Gear list
Like?
Re: Tired of hearing this fallacy about fstop equivalence.
In reply to Doctor Lecter, 7 months ago

Doctor Lecter wrote:

From http://admiringlight.com/blog/full-frame-equivalence-and-why-it-doesnt-matter/2/

"While crop factor has a use simply to compare focal lengths between formats and such, the constant comparison of a smaller format lens to its full frame ‘equivalent’ aperture is largely unevenly applied and misunderstood. It’s often used to show that a smaller format is inferior or not capable of the same things as a larger format. In some cases, this usage is correct, but it is also nearly never used the other way.

I’ve heard many times “Yeah, your 75mm f/1.8 is crap – it’s like a 150mm f/3.6.” No, it’s not, it’s a 75mm lens with an f/1.8 aperture and a field of view that is the same as a 150mm lens on full frame.

What IS true is that the 75mm f/1.8 is not capable of the same ultra shallow depth of field as, say, something like the Sony Zeiss 135mm f/1.8 on full frame. However, this is essentially the ONLY way that it is inferior. It passes the same amount of light, and it exposes as an f/1.8 lens because it IS an f/1.8 lens"

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

I'm tired of hearing it, too. He tried it with me a few posts ago. I simply stopped arguing the issue. As I said in my post, f/2.8 is f/2.8 whether applied to 4:3, full frame, APS-C, a point and shoot, medium format or an 11 X 17 view camera. Other things come into play, for sure. But aperture is a constant.

My Canon 85mm f/1.8 is f/1.8 on my crop 40D and is f/1.8 on my full frame 5D. If this weren't so, none of us would ever know exactly what we're purchasing or what settings we're shooting at!

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Oh?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow