Comparing Olympus 4/3lenses to FX "Full Frame" offerings

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Forgottenbutnotgone
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
Re: That's what I would think
In reply to JiminDenver, 7 months ago

JiminDenver wrote:

Set two systems up with f 2 lenses, 100 ISO and shooting the same scene, do they not end up with the same shutter speed to get the same result? I believe so because my OM 50mm f 1.8 set to f 2 doesn't result in shutter speeds twice as fast as my 50mm f2 even though the OM is a full frame lens.

-- hide signature --

JimB
Bug Whisperer
Join us in The Weekly Close up every weekend

They don't get the same result. They get the same exposure, or the equivalent amount of light that is necessary to produce the same brightness on each individual format. If they get the SAME result, how come it's widely acknowledged that the depth of will be different? If the depth of field is different, you don't get the SAME result, so apparently you already realize that f/2 is NOT f/2 with regard to depth of field between FT and FF. Why is it so hard to grasp that it might be the same with regard to noise?

If that makes no sense to you, why bother with even micro four thirds when a nice compact superzoom should theoretically do the exact same thing?

Robert

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Oh?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow