Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
surfingmaltman
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
Re: remaining "ignorant"
In reply to Ian Stuart Forsyth, 6 months ago

Ian Stuart Forsyth wrote:

Doctor Lecter wrote:

I beg to differ. *You* can remain ignorant on the subject if you wish... DOF changes, but fstops/apertures are the same regardless of sensor size. It's simple physics — the amount of light passing through the lens.

Exactly physics, the 50mm F2.8 has a larger front element than the smaller 25mm F2.8 front element now are you going to try and convince me that the same amount of light will pass thru the smaller 25mm F2.8 as a 50mm F2.8. Has the 25mm F2.8 have some special power that allows it to suck more light thru its smaller opening.

It's been that way since 8x10 view cameras vs. 4x5 vs. 35mm... did anyone used to say, "yeah, but f5.6 is REALLY f8 if you move to medium format, dude..."

FF fanboys love to use this fstop equivalence BS. It probably takes away some of the sting of having spent $4,000 bucks on a lens.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Yes but that light would need to spread over a larger surface area. So more light is needed to achieve exposure across the whole frame.

Are people confusing the brightness of the light and the amount of light here?

10 Ev worth of light passing through a 2mm diameter hole will be 10 EV on the other side at 2mm size image circle. (keeping things telecentric for simplicity)

10Ev worht of light passing through a 8 mm diameter hole will be 10 EV on the other side at 8 mm but it will be more light by sheer size but not brightness.

But hey maybe I am wrong.

Ric

surfingmaltman's gear list:surfingmaltman's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Oh?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow