Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Al Downie
Contributing MemberPosts: 649Gear list
Like?
Anyone switched from Fuji X
9 months ago

After a career as a professional photographer with film cameras, my digital period started with Canon DSLR, then Nikon (a D200 served me well for many years), and latterly I've been using Fuji X-E1 and X100. I *love* the quality of the images I'm getting from the Fuji (the white balance and skin tones are brilliant), and the arrangement of the controls feels right and natural to me; it's a great system for sure. BUT... having just recently sold the D200, the 300mm, the 105mm and a bunch of older kit on eBay, I find myself with a wad of cash in the bank and... wanting to buy a DSLR again!! Either a D610 or a D800. Nobody more surprised than me; I appreciate all the reasons why many former DSLR users have embraced the Fuji system, AND fuji are just about to release the X-T1 which is the closest thing yet to the digital camera I've been waiting for. (I was really excited during the teaser campaign for the Df, but when I saw it... well.. enough said).

If you've switched to (or back to) Nikon from a spell with Fuji X-Series, I'd be very grateful if you'd share your reasons and if you've had any 2nd or 3rd thoughts about switching?

My own thoughts are, I think, as follows:

1) Although the overall quality and 'feel' of the images from the Fuji is great, I'm always aware of the mushy detail that appears when you pixel-peep. I know 'peeping' is taboo nowadays and I'm trying to kick the habit, but I'll always know the mushiness is there and it'll annoy me.

2) The autofocus performance just isn't versatile enough for general purpose photography.

3) It looks like it's going to be a while before Fuji develops a good prime medium-tele lens.

Al Downie's gear list:Al Downie's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D200 Nikon D610 Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow