Starting a business specializing in portraiture

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
gotoole
Regular MemberPosts: 137
Like?
Re: Starting a business specializing in portraiture
In reply to spytrek007, 7 months ago

spytrek007 wrote:

I need some advice here. I am starting a new business and will be specializing in outdoor or on location portraits. My target market is models/actors, couples, families and children.

For models, I understand that one has to have a model release form to be able to use their images on ones portfolio. Do i need model release forms when photographing couples, children, families or any similar form?

You need a model release form for everyone if you want to make commercial use of their image. It is a good idea to start now as you might want to sell an image you take now in the future.

Do i need insurance as i would be shooting outdoors or on location?

Yes. Also, as has been pointed out, many 'public ' locations are under control of various bodies and they might specify what insurance you need. My local council specifies €7m public liability insurance if working on their property which includes parks, bridges etc.

And finally for casual shoots, is it safe to photograph models below the age of 18?

There is much legislation covering child protection. Familiarise yourself with it beforehand.

The business will be under UK law.

See links for child protection here http://www.nspcc.org.uk/Inform/research/briefings/child_protection_system_in_the_uk_wda48949.html.

These laws variy in different parts of the UK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow