Sensor sizes and f stops

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,567
Like?
Re: Sensor sizes and f stops
In reply to starlight110, 11 months ago

In digitalcameras there´s a great deal of tradeoffs between sensor size, optics and Price.

OK

I want to buy a superszoom with a mínimum of 12x to about 420mm eqiv

Well that limits you very quickly to a sensor size that's small or a camera that's relatively large.

A DSLR like a D3200 with an 18-200 covers about 12x and equates to about 300m in full frame terms.

and will use it a lot for videos, in fact, the only reason why I´m considering a digicam instead of a camcorder is the sensor size.

Why is sensor size an issue for you ?

After searching I found that the cameras with the proper optics and price usually have 1/2,3´sensors, for instance canon sx510 with 720mm, f/5,8 tele and a smaller but newer sensor. To compare it to my old A630 I wanted to know if the smaller sensor size has a big influence or not, my A630 has f/4,1 tele and the bigger sensor, the sx510 has f/5,8 tele (a whole fstop slower) and the smaller sensor, would in this case be a great difference when using both cameras in tele?

Exposure settings are going to produce about the result in terms of what for simplicity we'll call brightness. That's the idea of these numbers consistent exposure across formats.

Modern sensors have improved, but there are more factors to consider. In practical terms the differences would be minor, IMO, for normal print and display sizes.

If you want a significant different you need larger sensor. Maybe a 4/3 system or an NEX. Panasonic make some nice systems and a twin lens kit with a Panasonic G3 ( used or new ) would be a good choice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow