Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,308Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter Shock - Sony FF A7R
In reply to skyglider, 9 months ago

skyglider wrote:

kbouk wrote:

skyglider wrote:

Thinking about this shutter shock problem, more mass would dampen vibration and result in less blur. But there may be another factor in play which is sensor size. With a larger sensor, vibration is a smaller percentage of the image.

So it stands to reason that micro 4/3 sensors would exhibit more blur due to shutter shock, APS-C sensors less blur, and FF sensors the least amount of blur.

Sky

I don't think so, the new FF Sony A7R has big problems :

http://www.diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20140123_2-SonyA7R-shutterVibration-CallForAction.html

Correcto mundo. Guess with a larger sensor the shutter has to travel a longer distance which results in more impact when the shutter bottoms out, resulting in a larger shock wave. Compared to less impact on a smaller micro 4/3 sensor.

Funny how Sony knew enough to include an electronic first curtain shutter in the Alpha 7 which came "first" and made a purposeful decision to omit it in the Alpha 7R which came "second". Sony works in mysterious ways.

I would guess that the reason why the EFCS was omitted with the A7R is that the sensor (which is probably the same sensor as in the two years old Nikon D800) doesn't allow it, i.e., it takes too long to reset the entire sensor.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow