Starting a business specializing in portraiture

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
artistguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 778Gear list
Like?
Re: Starting a business specializing in portraiture
In reply to spytrek007, 11 months ago

First things first, I am a photographer in the UK who earns money taking photos of people, both weddings and portraits.

You really must approach this as a business, the most valuable thing you'll spend you money on is not your camera or lenses, it's training, it's not cheap, but will last forever. Second point, are you good with people? I mean, really good with people? The photographic product has to be top quality, it's a given. It's nearly all about handling people, can you get your service across to someone you've just met, listen to what they want and carry out the job to perfection.

My motto is "Accrobat, diplomat, doormat", if you're prepared to be those 3 things you have half a chance. What's your job at present? do you deal with people? Do you work in an ordered fashion as you'll need to organise your life to suit your clients. Prepare for every eventuallity, have back up kit, know how to use on and off camera flash, know your kit like the back of your hand.

It's tough but let your enthusiasm shine through at all times, others will fall by the wayside and gradually you'll build a reputation.

artistguy's gear list:artistguy's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow