u4/3 Tripods

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Fazal Majid
Contributing MemberPosts: 864Gear list
Like?
Re: u4/3 Tripods
In reply to Chris Malcolm, 10 months ago

Chris Malcolm wrote:

The aluminium version of a tripod is often the stiffer and more robust one (less likely to break if you sit on it). What the carbon fibre version gives you is greatly reduced weight of wallet, slightly reduced weight of tripod.

Actually it's the opposite - carbon fiber dampens vibrations better than aluminum, and wood works even better.

Adding a weight to the hook on the center column helps with stability, e.g. your camera bag.

In this kind of situation I either carry a Gitzo Traveler, or if I can get away with a tabletop tripod, a Novoflex BasicBall (with an Acratech ball head). The traveler has been copied by many Chinese manufacturers like Mefoto, but I haven't tried the knock-offs and can't comment on their performance.

The Novoflex Mikrostativ is also exceptionally good given how small it is. I've used it successfully with a Nikon D3, admittedly with a compact 50mm lens, not a 300mm behemoth.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Leica M Typ 240 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow