Contributing MemberPosts: 579Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of migrating from NEX to Fuji X
In reply to Tom Davis, 11 months ago

Tom Davis wrote:

gbert15 wrote:

Tom Davis wrote:

gbert15 wrote:

Nice nice! Thanks for that info on your experience! Basically I am currently shooting with a NEX-6 right now and have the touit 12/2.8, zeiss 24/1.8, sony 55-210, and an adapted Pentax Takumar SMC 50/1.4 and I envy you guys a lot with all these fast lenses at your disposal! My current line up can easily be changed with better lenses if I migrate to fuji! The main selling point though is the 23/1.4 since that is my fav focal length and it seems to be one heck of a lens!

How was your experience though on af speed and the fuji menu system?I know the menu system if the nex is a mess so how much easier was the fuji menu system to use compared to the sony? I wish they had modern bodies though but its not a deal breaker at all! I am shooting with my camera anyway and not taking pics of it! Hehe!

AF speed with the X-E2 is fine, I really see no difference from my experience with the NEX-5t. Of course it's not meant to be a sports camera. But for the work I do in environmental portraiture and Japanese Gardens, it certainly fast enough. And the finder is excellent, especially if you wear eyeglasses as I do. The finder on the X-T1 will be even better.

Fuji has a simple, straightforward, and logically laid-out menu system. But the main point about the X-T1 is that its external controls are so well laid-out that they put every major exposure option within a finger-reach. Which means you simply won't have to use the menus for most any regular setting. And of course there's always the "Q" button to bring up the most used menus if you want them.

If you plan on using native lenses, I don't see how you can go wrong with the Fuji XF lineup. I'll add the 56mm f1.2 when it's out. And I use a Leica 90mm f2.8 Elmarit-M for a longer prime when I don't want to use the 55-200 XF zoom which is excellent for landscape work. When Fuji adds a longer prime I'll get that as well. A great lineup and all developed to match the sensor-size.

Thisnis quite comforting to know being that the 5t should have that hybrid phase and contrast detect already and if u see no difference then it should be a good sign! But question is what conditions do u usually shoot in?

Early morning light in a Japanese Garden setting, and then early morning or late afternoon north or east window-light with portraiture (I prefer natural light, don't use flash under most any circumstance). And, yes, the X-E2 focuses as fast as the 5t under those conditions. One thing to note about lenses: the XF 35mm 1.4 uses a relatively noisy AF motor whereas the 23mm 1.4 is much quieter. I'm hoping the 56mm 1.2 is quiet like the 23mm.

Nice nice! I am going for the 23/1.4 and 56/1.2 for sure probably go for the 14/2.8 and 55-200 after! Wish there was something like the 11-16/2.8 though but the prime works fine since I had a 12/2.8 anyway on my nex!

gbert15's gear list:gbert15's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow